Lanercost Priory (Lanercost)

Lanercost Prioryarches by Barbara BallardLanercost Priory, in a tranquil valley of the River Irthing, is a hidden Cumbrian gem. The Augustinian Priory, founded around 1166 by Robert de Vaux, is built mostly from stone scavenged from nearby Hadrian's Wall. The building, completed in 1220, was home to approximately 15 canons.

The palpable peace of this place gives no hint of the violence it once witnessed. Its location, close to the Scottish border, marked it for Lanercost Priory font by Alexander P Kappconflict. Edward I stayed here three times (1280, 1300, 1306) when conducting raids against the Scots. On the last occasion he fell ill and wintered at the abbey. The Scots set fire to the cloister in 1296. Two famous Scots, William Wallace and Robert the Bruce, attacked the priory. Raids continued well into the 14th century. Unfortunately, the priory's bills for repairs required more money than they had available, and land was sold to cover the costs.

A local poet Peter Langcroft, wrote of the devastating Scottish raids on the area:

“Corbrigge is a toun, thei brent it whan thei cam; Tuo hous of religioun, Lanercost and Hexam, Thei chaced the chanons out, their goodes bare away, And robbed all about; the bestis tok to prey.”

Lanercost Priory By Barbara BallardLanercost was one of the first priories dissolved by Henry VIII (only a prior and seven canons were resident at the time), who gave the buildings and the land to Sir Thomas, Lord Dacre, the illegitimate son of Lord Dacre of Naworth. He turned part of the Priory into a country mansion, called Dacre Hall, and moved there in 1559.

The male side of the family died out in 1716, and trees and shrubs soon claimed the site for their own. The ruins are approached through an archway, once the gatehouse. Remains of parts of the north and south transepts, choir, sanctuary, cloister, chapter house, and undercroft-mostly complete including mason's marks-still survive.

Lanercost Priory arched gateway by Alexander P KappThe ruined priory church was partly reclaimed in 1740 when the nave and north aisle were roofed to serve as a parish church, still in use today. The church's west front dates to around 1200. Pointed lancet windows were done in the Gothic style. The patron saint of the priory, Mary Magdalene, is honoured with a statue.

Lanercost Priory Church By Steve BulmanThree stained glass windows in the north aisle are by Sir Edward Burne-Jones. Two ornate altar tombs-Sir Thomas Dacre's is well preserved-and medieval grave slabs are of interest as is a Victorian tomb of Elizabeth Dacre Howard with its stone figure of a tiny baby. In the east window are pieces of 16th century glass from Dacre Hall. Stone coffins and inscribed monuments decorate the cemetery grounds.

The red sandstone ruins of Lanercost Priory and its parish church, set in a wooded valley, are haunting remains of a violent past that is, today, an enjoyable and interesting destination.

Lanercost Priory
Off minor road south of Lanercost, 2 miles northeast of Brampton
Tel. 01697 73030
English Heritage
Open April 1st to Sept. 30th 10-5pm
Open October 10-4pm
Open Nov. to 16th Dec. 10-4 weekends only.
Closed 24th-25th Dec. and New Year's Day.
Parish church not managed by English Heritage

Note: Please check opening times and dates before visiting in case of changes.

Cumbria's New And Exciting Music and Arts Festival
Music for Midsummer
The Lanercost Festival takes place within the confines of Lanercost Priory, one of the most beautiful locations in all of England for such an event.
For details of the full program visit www.lanercostfestival.co.uk
Open: April-Sep, daily, 10am-6pm; Oct, daily, 10am-5pm; Nov-mid Feb, Sat and Sun, 10am-4pm; mid Feb-end March, Sat and Sun, 10am-4pm

Note: Please check opening times and dates before visiting in case of changes.

Photos by Barbara Ballard and courtesy of Steve Bulman , Alexander P Kapp.

Back To Abbeys Monasteries and Churches in Cumbria

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2014 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Content