St John the Evangelist Church (Cowgill)

St Johns Church Cowgill by Alexander P Kapp GeographSt John the Evangelist Anglican church, located in a remote area, was built in 1837-38. English Heritage has designated it as Grade II listed. Adam Sedgwick laid the foundation stone.

The material used in construction of the Early English style church is coursed sandstone rubble. The roof is made of slate. It has a six bay nave, a vestry in the north, a south porch, and a single bay chancel. The bays, separated by buttresses, contain lancet windows. The east window is a stepped triple-lancet.

Interior St Johns Church Cowgill by Alexander P Kapp GeographA wooden gabled porch is on the south side of the church. A bellcote with wooden louvres is located at the west end. A weathervane decorates the steep roof.

Wall memorials to the Elam family members are inside the church. An organ was built by T. Hopkins and Son company.

The church is in South Lakeland in the parish of Dent. It is open for visitors.

Photo courtesy of © Alexander P Kapp

Back To Abbeys Monasteries and Churches in Cumbria

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.