St Martins Martindale Old Church
The small Martindale Old Church (not to be confused with the new church, St Peter’s, of 1880) in the Martindale valley lies on the far side of Ullswater towards a dead-end road. It is remote and atmospheric. The churchyard is surrounded by a stone wall in which daffodils bloom in the spring. Like many a churchyard, a yew tree grows here, but this one is thought to be 1300 years old.
The church, a single chamber, was constructed in 1634 of stone. The windows are plain. A former church from the 13th century occupied the site at one time. The benches, bells, and pulpit date from the 17th century. The flagstones on the floor were laid at a later date-1724-to cover a dirt floor. In 1882 the church roof collapsed and was subsequently replaced.
Martindale Old Church is located at the far end of Ullswater on a minor road off the B5320; follow the minor road along the lake to the signs that designate the New Church. Continue to the turning for the Old Church.
Photos by Barbara Ballard
© 1997 - 2015 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.