Appleby Castle

(See also Appleby-in-Westmorland , St Lawrence Church)

Appleby Castle entrance gate in wall by Graeme DougalSitting at the top of Boroughgate street in a defensive position by the River Eden, Appleby Castle dates from Norman times. There was probably a Roman fortification on this high hill by the river. Founded by Ranulph le Meschin c1100-20, the castle passed to the Crown, then the Scots took control from 1136 to 1157, after which it was regained by the English.

Appleby Castle Keep Interior by Barbara BallardIt was Hugh de Morville who built Caesars tower, the square stone keep, in 1170, considered one of the best preserved in Britain. Surrounded by two moats, the 12th century five-floored keep and the Great Hall are two completely different buildings.

Passing in and out of the Crowns hands and various families, the castle ended up in the 13th century belonging to the Clifford family. They retained ownership for the next 400 years. The castle saw good times and hard ones. Much rebuilt by Thomas Lord Clifford in Henry VIs time, it was then neglected, and during the Civil War, slighted.

Appleby Castle keep courtesy Graeme DougalDuring the Civil War both the Royalists and the Parliamentarians occupied the castle. When surrendered by the Royalists, the castles forces were 5 knights, 25 colonels, 9 lieutenant colonels, 6 majors, 46 captains, 17 lieutenants, 6 coronets, 3 ensigns, 5 pieces of cannon, 1200 horses, and 1000 standard arms, not to mention all of their baggage.

Lady Anne Clifford, Countess of Pembroke, was a staunch loyalist. After the return of Charles II to the throne, she occupied Appleby Castle and celebrated the joyful event with the town. It is said that she “thought not her gates then wide enough to receive her guests, which before had been too wide for receiving armies of soldiers.”

Appleby Castle exterior courtesy Graeme DougalThe castle was extensively rebuilt and restored from 1651 by Lady Anne who was described as an “ornament of her age and country.” In 1653 she built Lady Annes Bee House in the grounds, thought to serve as a spot for mediation. She also added the stables in the castle grounds.

Appleby Castle Rare Breed Sheep by Barbara BallardAfter her death at the age of 87, Appleby castle was further improved by her grandson, the Earl of Thanet. Between 1686-88, he took stone from Brough and Brougham castles to build the east range, with its great hall, staircase, oak paneling and paintings of the Clifford family. During this time the exterior of the building was faced with dressed stone.

Appleby Castle is located in the town of Appleby-in-Westmorland, just off the A66 between Penrith and Brough.
The castle and gardens are generally not open but check with the Appleby Visitor Information centre phone no.017683 51177 to find out the details.

Photos by Barbara Ballard and courtesy of Graeme Dougal

Back To Castles in Cumbria

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.