(See also Dalton-in-Furness)
In 1127 King Stephen gave Furness Abbey the power to administer justice in the Dalton area. The marauding Scots destroyed the abbey buildings that served as a center of civil administration, and Dalton Castle was constructed in the mid 1300's as a replacement building for holding court and a prison. Built as a pele tower, it would provide more protection.
The castle was rectangular in shape, 45 feet x 30 feet, with six-foot thick walls at ground level. Further protection was provided by a spiral staircase within the west wall, giving access to two upper floors and a roof with parapet. A small dungeon served as a prison. Like many pele towers, the castle had only one entrance, a door on the south side.
Dalton castle has seen repairs and renovations since its first construction. It was ruined and, by 1544, repairs were necessary. In the 1700's a door leading directly to the spiral staircase made access to the upper floors more convenient. In the 1850's the staircase and south window were changed, and further repairs were made. At some time in the past one room served as a stable.
The National Trust restored Dalton Castle in 1968-69. It houses a small museum with displays of 16th and 17th century armour.
Located at one end of a car park in Dalton
Tel.0870 609 5391 (National Trust regional office)
Open: phone above number for details.
Note: Please check opening times and dates before visiting in case of changes.
Dalton-in-Furness is 3 miles southeast of Askham-in-Furness and 3 miles north of Barrow-in-Furness on the A590/595.
Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal
© 1997 - 2015 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.