Drumburgh Castle

(See also Drumburgh , Drumburgh Moss Nature Reserve)

Drumburgh Castle by John Tustin GeographDrumburgh castle is a fortified stone farmhouse built c1500-25 by Thomas, Lord Dacre. His arms were put on a stone (dated 1518) over the entrance but the stone was later moved over a 2nd storey entrance. The rectangular stone building measures 22.9m in length and 8.2m wide. The walls are 1.2m thick.

The basement of the building is a remodelled lower storey of an original hall house by Robert le Brun who was licensed to crenellate it in 1307.

Drumburgh Castle by Ian S GeographThe building decayed in the early 15th century and by the end of the century was a ruin. John Aglionby bought the ruinous house in 1678 from Henry, Duke of Norfolk. In 1696 it came into the hands of Sir John Lowther who made alterations.

The building was restored in the 1970s with the east end being made into a private home.

Drumburgh castle is in the village of Drumburgh in Allerdale, eight miles west north-west of Carlisle.

Photos courtesy © John Tustin , Ian S

Back To Castles in Cumbria

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.