Greystoke Castle

(See also Greystoke Village)

Greystoke Castle entrance by Malcolm CarruthersGreystoke Castle was an integral part of Greystoke village life. The first stone building to occupy the site was constructed in 1129 by Ivo, the grandson of a local Saxon chieftain.

It was crenellated in the 1300s by William de Greystoke, hence its name. The castle served as protection against raids from the Scottish. Thomas Howard, the 4th Duke of Norfolk and Earl Marshall of England, came into the possession of the castle in the mid 16th century. Cromwell and his army destroyed much of it.

In the 1670s the current owner at the time, Henry Charles Howard, added a wing. The 16th Duke of Norfolk made many alterations and demolished part of the original castle in 1789. He added a fourth storey to a second tower.

The present building, in the Elizabethan style, dates from 1839-48 and was designed by Anthony Salvin. A devastating fire in 1868 laid waste to the restored castle and destroyed many of its works or art and treasures. Only the medieval pele tower and a few Georgian interiors survived. In 1950 Stafford Howard inherited the castle and its estate and did further restoration work, continued by his son, Neville.Greystoke Castle from the air by Simon Ledingham

The castle stands in a wooded park of 3000 acres. The grounds contain three well known folly farmholds: Bunker’s Hill, Fort Putnam, and Spire House. The first two were built to look like fortresses and the last like a church.

Greystoke is located 5 miles west of Penrith on the B5288.

Photos courtesy © Malcolm Carruthers , Simon Ledingham

Back To Castles in Cumbria

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us