Derwent Island House
(See also Derwent Water)
Derwent Island House is an 1840's Italianate house set in a garden on a wooded island in Derwent Water. The interior is classical in style.
The treeless island was owned by Fountains Abbey (Yorkshire). With the dissolution of the monasteries, it fell into the hands of the Crown and was sold off in 1569 to the Company of Mines Royal.
In 1778 Joseph Pocklington bought the island (known in earlier times as Vicar's Island) and built a house, boathouse, fort and battery, and Druid circle folly on the land. Pocklington held regattas at which he fired off his cannon.
Wordsworth was upset by the building, feeling it spoiled the view, and employed strong words to denigrate it. Henry Marshall purchased the island in 1844 and employed architect Anthony Salvin to add a wing and a three-storey tower to Pocklington's house.
Derwent Island House Derwent Water.
Accessible by launch at Lakeside, Keswick off the B5289.
Derwent Island House is a National Trust property, but is privately let.
Tel. 015394 35599 or regional office 0870 6095391.
Fax. 015394 35353
Open: Some rooms are open by timed ticked on certain days during the summer. For specific dates each year check the National Trust website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk. Tickets available by sending s.a.e. to The National Trust, Derwent Island bookings, The Hollens, Grasmere, Ambleside, Cumbria LA22 9QZ.
© 1997 - 2015 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.