Haig Colliery Mining Museum
(See also Whitehaven)
Located on the cliffs above Whitehaven, the Haig Colliery Mining Museum is part of Cumbria's history. It sits on the site of the former Haig Pit and consists of a winding engine house and headgear.
It was between 1914 and 1918 that the Whitehaven Colliery Company sunk the 1200-foot deep Haig Pit. Its closure was brought about by the encounter of a major fault, miners' strike, and the politics of the day. Buildings were demolished with only the winding engine house and some workshops remaining. The Haig Colliery building site is now designated as a Scheduled Monument by English Heritage.
The museum is located at Solway Road, Kells, Whitehaven, ½ mile south on road to St Bees.
Tel. 01946 599949
Fax. 01946 61896
Open Visitors Centre and the Pit Top Cafe Monday to Saturday 9am - 3pm. The Mining Museum will reopen 14th February 2015.
Note: Please check opening times and dates before visiting in case of changes.
Photos courtesy of Haig Colliery Mining Museum
From the 13th century to 1986 coal mining took place in the Whitehaven area. The industry began its expansion in 1630 when Sir Christopher Lowther came into ownership of the coal fields and built a pier for exporting the coal. The last operating mine was the Haig Pit, the deepest in Cumbria. A dangerous occupation at the best of times, Whitehaven's mine pits killed 1200 people during their operation.
© 1997 - 2015 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.