Maritime Museum

(See also Maryport)

Maryport Maritime Museum by Barbara BallardThe Maritime Museum's collection includes objects, models, paintings, and pictures related to Maryport.

Originally begun as the result of donated items in the 1970s, the collection has grown over the years to occupy three floors that encompass the social and political history as well as the maritime and industrial.

The museum's ground floor details Maryport's industrial history beginning with the 1700's coal trade. The history of the glass and iron works, herring fishing, brewing, paper, pottery, and tanning are told. Here also is the family history of the Senhouses who were much involved in Maryport's industrial growth.

Maryport statue of fishermen by Barbara BallardThe first floor traces the history of the shipbuilding industry and the people involved in it. Included are models of ships specifically related to Maryport and a selection of seafaring tools and instruments. There is a collection of the paintings of William Mitchell. Another gallery is named after Fletcher Christian of ‘Mutiny on the Bounty’ and contains his sea chest.

The top floor of the gallery is all about Maryport's social history and the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. Also on this floor are the details of the White Star Line and its tragic Titanic. Maryport memorabilia and tableau gives a picture of life in the town's past.

The Tourist Information Centre is located in the same building that was once the Queen's Head, a pub with a seafaring past.

A historic ship in the harbour is the VIC96, a WW II supply ship (1945).

Maritime Museum
1 Senhouse Street
CA15 6AB
Phone: 01900 813738
Open: Easter-end Oct, Mon-Sat, 10am-4pm

Note: Please check opening times and dates before visiting in case of changes.

Photos by Barbara Ballard

Back To Museums in Cumbria

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.