Alauna Roman Fort

Alauna Foman Fort by shamusmachamish FlickrThe Alauna fort at Maryport on Cumbria’s west coast was established c122. It was one of the largest on the Roman frontier and was designed to protect Hadrian’s wall.

Built to house 1000 soldiers, it was connected by road to Carlisle. It was used by the Romans for 280 years. Remains of the surrounding Roman town still exist.

Alauna’s purpose, besides defense, was to serve as a station for importing supplies for the Romans along the wall and in the city of Carlisle. It also served as an export centre for raw materials from farms, quarries, forests, and the mines.

Photos courtesy of shamusmachamish

Back to Roman Sites

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.