Cumbria’s Government Districts
The county of Cumbria is, for governing purposes, divided into six districts: Allerdale, Barrow-in-Furness, Carlisle, Copeland, Eden, and South Lakeland. A district is the next level of local government up from a civil parish, which is the lowest. Civil Parishes
|2) South Lakeland|
1) The district of Barrow-in-Furness is located in the south-west of the county. Its border is defined in the south by Morecambe Bay; in the west by the sea; and in the north by Askam-in-Furness. It includes the towns of Lindal-in-Furness and Dalton-in-Furness. Barrow-in-Furness has three parish councils.
Barrow in Furness Borough Council www.barrowbc.gov.uk
2) South Lakeland stretches from Cumbria’s border with Yorkshire to
the district of South Lakeland in the southern part of the county. South Lakeland covers an area from the Lakes, Kentmere, and Sedbergh in the north to Aldingham, Grange-over-Sands, Casterton, and Dent in the south. In the west it begins at Duddon and reaches to Garsdale and Dent in the east. South Lakeland has 88 parish councils.
South Lakeland Borough Council www.southlakeland.gov.uk
3) Copeland starts on Cumbria’s western coast and stops at the boundary with South Lakeland district. In the north it includes Distington and Lowca parishes; southward it takes in Millom. Westward Ennerdale and Kinniside, Wasdale, Eskdale, and Ulpha parishes are governed by Copeland. Copeland has 30 parish councils.
Copeland Borough Council www.copelandbc.gov.uk
4) Allerdale, in central Cumbria, borders the sea in the west and reaches to Kirkbampton, Thursby, Caldbeck, and St Johns Castlerigg in the east. Southward it claims Borrowdale and Buttermere. Allerdale has 61 parish councils.
Allerdale Borough Council www.allerdale.gov.uk
5) Eden, in central Cumbria, begins at Durham countys border and covers an area from Hesket and Ainstable in the north to Tebay, Ravenstonedale, and Mallerstang in the south. Westward it takes in Patterdale, Threlkeld, Mungrisdale, and Castle Sowerby parishes. Eden has 75 local parish councils.
Eden Borough Council www.eden.gov.uk
6) Carlisle district lies in northern Cumbria and is defined by the adjacent border with Scotland in the north and Northumbria in the east. The district encompasses the city of Carlisle and stretches southward to Dalston, Wetheral, and Cumwhitton parishes and east to Nether Denton, Upper Denton, and Kingwater parishes . Carlisle has 38 parish councils.
Carlisle City Council www.carlisle.gov.uk
Back To Visitor Information