June 23, 2018

Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Branthwaite (Workington)

Branthwaite Road Junction by John HolmesBranthwaite’s name means the ‘broom-covered clearing’. Below the spread-out hillside village is the River Marron.

Outside Branthwaite on the road to Dean is a farm that was formerly Branthwaite Hall. There was first a pele tower here, and then the farm house was built around it. The tower had a tunnel vaulted basement. It served as a home to the Skelton family from 1422-1757. William Hetherington moved here in 1788 and stayed until 1865. His claim to fame was being a local poet. He is buried in the nearby village of Dean

Photo courtesy John Holmes The Geograph British Isles Project

Branthwaite is located on a minor road five miles south-west of Cockermouth off the A5086. Note: Cumbria has another village called Branthwaite located on a minor road off the B5299 on the northern edge of the Lake District National Park.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us