Businesses in Bridekirk Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Bridekirk

(See also Holme Cultram Abbey)

Bridekirk St. Bridget's Church by Alexander P KappBridekirk, on the outskirts of Cockermouth, is named after its cruciform shaped church, re-constructed in the late 1860s. Surviving are the remains of a ruined chancel with 16th century east and south windows.

Incorporated in the new construction are two Norman doorways. The church is famous for its 12th century casket-shaped font carved with inscriptions, birds, beasts and the baptism of Christ. It is signed by a ‘Richard’, believed to be the work of a famous carver from Durham. Old tombstones stand guard around the church walls. There are patterned tiles inside the church.

Bridekirk St. Bridget's Church Lychgate by Alexander P KappThe church and vicarage belonged to the monastery of Guisborough before the dissolution. Two men born in the church vicarage became successful politicians: Sir Joseph Williamson, who was secretary of state in 1674 and Thomas Tickell (born 1686), a poet who was secretary to the lords justices of Ireland.

Photos courtesy Alexander P Kapp The Geograph British Isles Project The Geograph British Isles Project

Bridekirk is two miles north of Cockermouth off the A595.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us