June 22, 2018

Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Dendron

Dendron lane by Google MapsDendron is next to Barrow-in-Furness but maintains its own identity as a former agricultural settlement.

St Matthew's church in the village dates from 1642 and was built as a chapel of ease by a former Leece man, Robert Dickinson. It also served the village as a Dendron St Matthew church by Michael Grahamschoolhouse between 1642 and 1833. The church was rebuilt in 1795. In 1833 a tower was added and the wall that divided the school and church was removed, after which a new school and a vicarage were built. In 1891 the church was again restored. It has one stained glass window. The former school is now used as a meeting hall.

Photos courtesy of Google Maps , Michael Graham.

Dendron is 2.5 miles east of Barrow-in-Furness.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us