Businesses in Hoff Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Hoff

Hoff, Cumbria © Googlr MapsHoff, now a small hamlet, was once part of a manor with Drybeck. The manor was made up of Hoff Nether, Hoff Row, and Barwise Hall (now a farmhouse). The name comes from Old Norse and means ‘a heathen sanctuary or temple’.

Hoff had a Methodist chapel from 1895 that is now a private home. A battle between the English and Scots was thought to Hoff Beck Footbridge © David Medcalf Geographhave taken place near the bridge during Richard II’s reign. Red squirrels, deer, and heron frequent the vicinity.

Hoff has a pub called the New Inn. It’s a traditional country pub whose history goes back to the 17th century.

Photos courtesy © Google Maps , David Medcalf

Hoff is 2.5 miles south south-west of Appleby on the B6290.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us