August 18, 2018

Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Kirkland (Penrith)

The church of St Lawrence the Martyr courtesy Julian ThurgoodThe tiny village of Kirkland lies north-east of Penrith on a minor road in an isolated situation. Its houses are scattered at the base of Cross Fell in a somewhat isolated situation.

The church of St Lawrence the Martyr sits by itself in a field. It was rebuilt in 1768 and 1880 and has a nave, chancel, and bell turret. A triple-chamfered chancel arch dates from 1280-1300. In the church is the effigy of an armoured man, which came from the previous church. A Saxon cross is in the churchyard.

Photos courtesy of Julian Thurgood

Kirkland is located on a minor road north-east of the B6412 and Penrith.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us