Businesses in Plumpton (Penrith) Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Plumpton (Penrith)

Plumpton House courtesy Andy WallacePlumptons homes take advantage of the river Petteril, along which many are sited. Trout fishing is a popular pastime.

North of the village is Voreda, a former Roman fort in use from the time of Hadrian's wall until the 4th century. In medieval times the area was a hunting ground for deer. A grammar school was founded in the mid-1700s.

Plumpton House courtesy Andy WallaceThe church of St John the Evangelist with its pele-like tower, dates from 1907. Henry Holiday, a devotee of the Lake District and stained glass designer, did one of the windows in the church.

There is an institute for outdoor learning in the former Plumpton Hall, a farming manor house.

Plumpton St John Baptist Church courtesy Steve Bulman

Note: There are two villages by this name in Cumbria, the one above and one on a dead-end road on Morecambe Bay just outside Ulverston.

Photos courtesy of Andy Wallace Andy Fellwalker and Steve Bulman


Plumpton is located 4 miles north of Penrith on the B6413.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us