Businesses in Rowrah Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Rowrah

Rowrah junction courtesy of John LordRowrah village is a collection of houses along the roadside. On the edge of the village is Rowrah Hall, built in 1722 and now a privately owned home.

The area was populated due to the limestone quarry, dating from 1888, and iron mines in the region. A railroad, the Rowrah and Kelton Fell Mineral Railway, long closed, served the quarries and mines. The rail track was removed, and a cycle and walk way took its place. One of the disused quarries serves as a karting race track.Rowrah Salterhall quarry courtesy of John Holmes

In the village is an 1895 Wesleyan chapel. In 1896 a reading room was established.

Photos courtesy of John Lord The Geograph British Isles project.



Rowrah is located .5 mile from Arlecdon.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us