|Businesses in Blawith||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Blawith is a collection of farms and cottages on the road. Nearby runs the river Crake. On the Blawith Common to the north-west is Brown Howe estate and Beacon Tarn, once a prehistoric settlement. The common is a large expanse of wild and craggy moorland rich in archaeological sites. Blawith is pronounced Blaith, meaning a wolf, an animal that was common to the area.
St John the Baptist church, now closed, dates from 1863. Built of rubble and sandstone, it sits near the remains of a 16th century church.
Photos courtesy Graeme Dougal
Blawith is on the A5084 just past the southern tip of Coniston Water.
© 1997 - 2013 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.