|Businesses in Broughton Moor||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Broughton Moor, like its name, sits on an extensive moor. It was once a mining village called Wyndham Row after the row of miners cottages built by a general Wyndham. The colliery, opened in 1882, closed in 1924. The Royal Navy Armaments depot was here. The primitive Methodists built a chapel in the village in 1861. The village has a primary school and a church, St Columba. The church was constructed in 1905 using local quarried rock. Green slate is still quarried here.
Photos by Barbara Ballard
Broughton Moor is located just south of the A594 and south-east of Maryport on Cumbrias west coast.
© 1997 - 2013 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.