|Businesses in Penruddock||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Penruddock originated in Celtic times. While the origin of its name is not certain, it is known that Pen is a Celtic name for ‘hill’ and ‘rhuddawc’ mean red in Welsh. Soil in the vicinity is reddish in colour. The name probably evolved through a number of languages to its present form.
All Saints Church was constructed in 1902. Its windows are Late Perpendicular in style. The slate-roofed Penruddock Presbyterian Chapel, in late Georgian style, dates from c1789 and replaced an earlier building. It was renovated in 1864, and a porch was added. Its windows are round, and its walls are rendered.
A post office and a pub complete the village picture.
Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal
Penruddock is 5.5 miles west of Penrith on the A66.
© 1997 - 2013 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.