Businesses in Crosscanonby Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Crosscanonby

Crosscanoby St John Evangelist church by Barbara BallardCrosscanonby village, less than a mile from Cumbrias west coast, was the location of an Augustinian house, its parent being in Carlisle. The Norman church, St John the Evangelist, is all that remains of the former religious settlement. It has been extensively restored since 1880. Original parts of the church are the chancel south window, a south window located above an arch leading to the 14th century south chapel, the west buttresses, and a doorway.

Crosscanoby house by Barbara BallardThe carved oak minstrels gallery dates from 1730 but was redone in 1935. A Roman fort at Maryport provided stone for the chancel arch. The niches in it would have held Roman statues. The alabaster font is 13th century. Also in the church is a piece of a 10th century cross-shaft with two dragons carved on it. The church has a large number of carved stones, one of which is an Anglo-Danish hogback gravestone.

The village has a community centre with solar power panels, and a primary school. The river Ellen is south of the village.

Crosscanonby hogback tomb courtesy Steve BulmanClose to the village are the remains of saltpans, dating from Elizabethan times. One set, the Netherhall pans is south of Croscanonby. The Crosscanonby saltpans, north of the village, date from 1634. Workers cottages were constructed here at the same time. Salt was in production until 1760. When the coast road, the B5300, was built in 1824, it ran through the middle of the saltpan site. The cottages became a pub, then reverted to being cottages again in 1900.

The Roman mile fortlet number 21 is in the vicinity. It can be seen from a viewing platform by a roadside carpark.

Crosscanonby Carr nature reserve is a wetland, meadow, and woodland where numerous animals, birds, and plants are found. The site has a number of water features.

Photos by Barbara Ballard and courtesy of Steve Bulman

Crosscanonby is off the A596 and B5300, north-east of Maryport.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2014 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.