Businesses in Aikton Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Aikton

Aikton Arms courtesy Andy WallaceAikton is a scattered village set among flat coastal farming land. A traditional pub, dating to 1729, is a village amenity. The daughter of Hugh de Morville, one of Thomas a Beckets murderers, lived in the village manor house.

St Andrew church, one mile east of the village, is constructed of stone in the Early English style. The east and south walls were rebuilt in 1732, and a south aisle was added to the Norman chancel in 1869. At this time the roof timbers were exposed.Aikton churchyard courtesy Andy Wallace

The chancel has a 13th century trefoil-headed piscina. There is a 12th century square font. The south arcade and doorway are thought to be from the 1500s. In the porch is a coffin lid from the 1400s. In the churchyard are two large slabs of stone, supported by a stone post. They form akissing gate.

Photos courtesy Andy Wallace

Aikton is three miles north of Wigton off the A596.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.