Businesses in Ainstable Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Ainstable

Ainstable courtesy Andy WallaceOne half-mile east of the river Eden is the village of Ainstable. Its Viking name was Einstapli. Later it was variously spelled Ainstaple, Eynstable or Aynstapelith. The name supposedly evolved from ‘On-Steep-Hill’, related to the small hill on which the village sits close to the Pennine moors.

In the village is the Eden valley woollen mill, open to visitors.

Ainstable St. Michael & All Angels church courtesy Andy WallaceThe village church, St Michael, sits on land where an earlier church and a nunnery were. It is a rebuilding of 1872. The church is made up of a nave and chancel. A small square tower at the north-west end has been demolished. Inside the church are a Norman pillar piscina and effigies dating back to the early 15th century. The churchyard is set off by a lych-gate.

Walks and fishing are available in the area. Near the village is a set of stone circles, Broomrigg Plantation, dating from the early Bronze Age. The remains–four red Ainstable New Crown Inn courtesy the Innsandstone stones in an arc, a low henge bank, and cairn circles–are located in a forest. Visit Carlisles Tuille museum to see the finds from this site.

Photos courtesy Andy Wallace and New Crown Inn



Ainstable is north of Penrith and south-east of Carlisle off the B6413 via a series of minor roads.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.