Businesses in Allithwaite Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Allithwaite

Allithwaite View Wraysholme TowerAllithwaite, in south Lakeland on Morecambe Bay's north shore, takes its name from the Norse meaning ‘a clearing belonging to Eilifr’. Allithwaite was part of the county of Lancashire until 1974 when the boundary lines were changed. Around lie the low fells and the coast.

Allithwaite St Mary'sAt one time a corn mill and a brewery operated in the village along with a quarry. A school, vicarage and church, St Mary, were constructed in 1865, the church of local limestone. Farming is carried on in the area. About 2000 people now live here, and some commute to Ulverston, Kendal or Lancaster to work. A community centre, two pubs, a Christian holiday centre, and nursing home are among the local job providers.

Allithwaite Post OfficeNearby attractions include Humphrey Head, a limestone cliff on a small peninsula. Here a ‘holy well’ was purported to have curative powers, especially for lead poisoning, a concern of miners. A cave on the promontory yielded prehistoric and Roman artefacts that included rings, coins, pottery, and spearheads. Supposedly the last wolf in England was killed here.

South of the village is a 15th century three storey stone tower house Wraysholme Tower. A 19th century farmhouse stands on the site of the former hall range.Allithwaite View Humphrey Head Wraysholme Tower

Photos by TheButler



Allithwaite is one mile south-west of Grange-over-Sands on the B5277.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.