Businesses in Arlecdon Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Arlecdon

(See also Ennerdale Water)

Arlecdon house by Andy WallaceArlecdon sits on the edge of the Lake District, itself edged by both fields and fells. Nearby is Ennerdale Water.

St Michael's church was built of stone in 1829 and contains a stained glass window dedicated to Isaac Fletcher of Frizington. It was remodeled in 1904 and has a bell tower. The former vicarage is a private home. In 1897 the vicar, Rev. Sugden, wrote a Arlecdon St Michael's church by Andy Wallacedefinitive history of Arlecdon and Frizington with many details of Victorian life in the district. (reprinted and available from www.amazon.co.uk)

Two pubs and a combination shop-post office comprise the local businesses. A school built in 1878 still operates.

In the past farming, coal and iron ore mining provided local jobs. Today farming is still important in the area, and the nearby nuclear power plant takes the place of mining in the job market.

Arlecdon Pub courtesy Andy WallaceArlecdon plays host to a section of the C2C cycleway.

Photos courtesy of Andy Wallace





Arlecdon is 6 miles north-east of Whitehaven off the A5086.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.