Businesses in Bardsea Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Bardsea

(See also Bardsea Country Park)

Bardsea distant view from Birkrigg Stone Circle by TheButlerBardsea village, sitting on a hill, shows a different face from its former one. This remote area, once reached only by walking over the sands, grew from a small fishing village and farming area into a transportation link for coal, iron ore, and corn. A steam packet sailed from Bardsea to Fleetwood five times a week and to Liverpool weekly. No longer important as a port, Bardsea still retains its fishing heritage.

Bardsea village street by TheButlerOnce a Hall, built to resemble a Swiss chateau, and its gardens stood where private homes sit. By the early 1800´s it had fallen into disrepair and was rebuilt in the Gothic style before ending its days.

A farm in 1750 is now the Ship Inn, and an old school has become a Bardsea Ship Inn by TheButlerchurch hall. The site of a 12th century hospital, St John of Jerusalem, is now a row of old limestone cottages with a shop and post office. Fishermen and labourers cottages became holiday homes. A former corn mill is a restaurant.

Holy Trinity church was built 1843-53. The long delay was due to the first financier, owner of Bardsea Holy Trinity Church courtesy of TheButlerConishead Priory, bowing out. Purchased by the curate, the church was finally completed. The stained glass east window is the one object of note in its interior.

At nearby Sunbrick is a Quaker burial ground of 227 believers, including the grave of Margaret Fox. There are no gravestones.

Nearby is Birkrigg Common on which sits a prehistoric stone circle. In the estuary is an island, Chapel, with a folly built at the same time as the rebuilding of the Hall. Birkrigg Stone Circle near Bardsea courtesy of TheButlerMonks inhabited it in the past. The 175-acre woodland of oak, ash, and cherry tree and the shoreline of Bardsea Country Park with its sand and shingle make for an attractive vista.

Bardsea, called Berretseige in the Domesday Book, is a quiet and scenic village, a pleasant getaway spot.

Photos courtesy of TheButler

Bardsea is 2.5 miles southwest of Ulverston on the A5087

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.