Businesses in Bassenthwaite Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Bassenthwaite

(See also Bassenthwaite Lake)

Bassenthwaite Village view By Graeme DougalBassenthwaite (Bass for short) village sits a mile and a half from the lake of the same name. Skiddaw rises dramatically to the northeast while Grisedale Pike and Whinlatter Pass add to the atmosphere westward. Chapel Beck flows through the village.

Roman and Briton remains in the vicinity highlight the fact that the area was settled here from earliest times. During the 1800´s mines in the area were operating, and corn mills and other trades were active.

Bassenthwaite Village green By Graeme DougalHighlighted by a village green, the historic cottages are constructed from Lakeland stone. The Pheasant Inn, an old coaching inn, retains its inglenook fireplace. A Methodist chapel, built in 1865, was followed by St John´s Church of England in 1878. It replaced the Chapel of Ease that still stands at the crossroads.

Bassenthwaite St John's Church 1878 By Graeme DougalThe 13th century Church of St Bega (another name for Saint Bee), restored in 1874, is beside Bassenthwaite Lake, two miles south of the village, and is reached by a trek across fields. In the church is a wrought iron hourglass once used to time sermons. The font, dated c1300, has an octagonal lead-lined bowl. A 14th century lead crucifix hangs over the pulpit. The church´s setting was the inspiration for Tennyson´s Morte d´Arthur, written in 1835. He described it thus:

“..to a chapel nigh the field,
A broken chancel with a broken cross,
That stood on a dark straight of barren land,‘..

Bassenthwaite village and Dash Beck By Graeme DougalThe historic 17th century manor house, Mirehouse, is close by on Bassenthwaite´s eastern shore. Gardens, walks, and original furniture highlight the lived-in family home. The former Dodd sawmill, in Dodd´s Wood on the property, is now a teahouse. The wooded area was not original, but was commissioned by Mirehouse´s owner in 1790.

Bassenthwaite Lake view to village and Skiddaw By Graeme DougalPaths lead from the village to circular walks in the vicinity. There are far reaching views from the summits of nearby fells.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal



Bassenthwaite is located 6 miles northwest of Keswick off the A591.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.