|Businesses in Bigrigg||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Sitting on the road that leads from Whitehaven to Egremont, Bigrigg melds into the surrounding farmland. Bigrigg Moor, watered by the River Ehen, was, at one time, surrounded by forest. Deep hollows in the area attest to iron ore mining as far back as medieval times. Bigrigg's calcite deposits were considered to be of the highest quality.
By 1829, there were three different companies mining eight pits in the area. Iron ore mining continued to expand from this time. Further encouragement for mining resulted when the railway was constructed from Whitehaven to Cleator Moor in the late 1850's.
Pits often flooded due to the proximity of the River Ehen, so the mining companies diverted the river. By the late 1800's some mines were closing in the area while others continued to open. In 1924 a mine disaster at the Croft Pit in Bigrigg trapped ten men for 28 hours before they were rescued. By 1932 all the mines were closed.
St John's Church in the village was built in 1878-80 in the Decorated style. Its stained glass memorial windows are by Charles Kempe.
Bigrigg has one pub that serves the village's 1200 people.
Bigrigg is 1.5 miles north of Egremont on the A595.
© 1997 - 2015 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.