Businesses in Blawith Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Blawith

Blawith street by Graeme DougalBlawith is a collection of farms and cottages on the road. Nearby runs the river Crake. On the Blawith Common to the north-west is Brown Howe estate and Beacon Tarn, once a prehistoric settlement. The common is a large expanse of wild and craggy moorland rich in archaeological sites. Blawith is pronounced Blaith, meaning a wolf, an animal that was common to the area.

Blawith St John the Baptist courtesy Graeme DougalSt John the Baptist church, now closed, dates from 1863. Built of rubble and sandstone, it sits near the remains of a 16th century church.

Photos courtesy Graeme Dougal

Blawith is on the A5084 just past the southern tip of Coniston Water.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.