March 6, 2015
|Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Blencarn sits in the north Pennines in the Eden area of Cumbria. Cross fell looms over the village, giving the place its name, which means the summit crag. Blencarn was part of the large barony of Adam Fitz Swein, and afterwards of his descendants, the Nevilles. It was granted by Edward II to William Langleys in 1340. A school was established in 1878, and a Wesleyan chapel was built in 1840.
Fly fishing in 15-acre Blencarn lake is a favourite sport.
Photo by Barbara Ballard
Blencarn is located on a minor road east of Penrith and between the A66 and A686.
© 1997 - 2015 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.