|Businesses in Blencogo||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Blencogo, a small and strung out farming village, lies on the coastal Solway plain. All around is farmland. The village and area were at one time part of a manor owned by the lord of Allerdale.
In 1854 a stone schoolhouse was built. It now serves as the village hall. There's a local inn to serve the villagers and a community park. A Blencogo craftsman makes willow products for sale.
Born in the village was a notable historian, Jonathan Boucher (1738-1804) who worked on a history of Cumberland. He visited America and wrote a book about the American revolution.
Photos by Alexander Kapp , Andrew Smith The Geograph British Isles Project
Blencogo is 3.5 miles west of Wigton in Allerdale.
© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.