Businesses in Blindcrake Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Blindcrake

Blindcrake village by Barbara BallardThis Allerdale village, spread along the road near the river Derwent, is on the site of what was an early settlement. The 59 houses date from the 1700s. Five farms make up the remainder of the village. Blindcrake has won a traditional village award. There is a village green and a well.

The church, St Michaels and All Angels, that serves the community is located in Isel, about a mile away. It holds a harvest festival. A school that served the community (now a private home) is located halfway between the two villages.

Blindcrake village by Barbara BallardIn 1750 Isel estate built a row of cottages in Blindcrake. The two end cottages were used in the 1800s for bacon curing (downstairs) and a primitive Methodist meeting room (upstairs). In 1894 the Methodist group bought the building and made it into a chapel. It is now a private home. Allison House, a large farmhouse, was built in 1724. It is named after the Allison family who were prominent in the area.

Blindcrake village Cumbria by Barbara BallardGrey heron, mallard, sparrowhawk, buzzard, grey partridge, kestrel, oystercatcher, and lapwing are among the birds seen in the area. There are a large variety of butterflies in the countryside around the village. Clints Crags limestone pavement, an area of special scientific interest, is located a mile from the village on a walking path.

Blindcrake village by Barbara Ballard

Blindcrake Parish Council www.blindcrake.org.uk

Photos by Barbara Ballard



Blindcrake is off the A595, three miles north-east of Cockermouth.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.