Businesses in Bolton Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Bolton

Bolton sandstone bridge 1870 courtesy docspicsBolton sits above the River Eden. Crossing the river is a red sandstone bridge built in 1870. The village has existed as far back as AD800. Its name refers to an enclosure with buildings. It was, in the 1300s, in the ownership of Ralph de Greystoke, but a number of owners followed before the Lowther family took control.

The church of All Saints, set in a graveyard, dates from the 1100s. In 1848 parts of it were restored. Norman remains Bolton All Saints church courtesy docspicsinclude the chancel and the north and south doorways. The bell turret is though to be 17th century, while the nave south windows and porch date from the 18th century. There is a triple-light east stained glass window above the altar. The font cover dates from 1687. On the exterior look for a 14th century stone effigy of a woman and a Norman carving of two knights jousting over the north doorway.

Bolton Eden Vale Inn couryesy docspicsNearby is Bewley castle dating from the same time as the church. It was owned by the cannons of Carlisle, but came under the ownership of the bishop of Carlisle in 1219.

Photos courtesy of Phil Brown at www.docbrown.info/docspics/

Bolton is located on a minor road just west of the A66, 8 miles south-east of Penrith and three miles north of Appleby-in-Westmoreland.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.