Businesses in Brigham Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Brigham

(See also St Bridget's Church)

St. Bridgets Church by John HolmesBeside the river Derwent in Allerdale, Brighams name refers to the meadow by the bridge. Salmon and trout are fished in the river. Limestone was quarried nearby. A local legend is that there is a tunnel from St Bridget's church to the Wheatsheaf Inn.

Wheatsheaf Inn by John HolmesThe churchs south arcade dates from 1180-90. The west tower is tunnel-vaulted and dates from the early 13th century, as does the south doorway. There are original twin lancet bell openings. Pre-Norman carved stones are in the 14th century south aisle chantry chapel. The font is 17th century.

Brigham St Bridgets stained glass window by Andy WallaceTwo windows in the church date from the 15th century, and another is in memory of William Wordsworths son John, who served as a vicar of the church for 40 years. Some of the windows were restored in 1864-76 by Butterfield. In addition he added the stenciling to the roof and the 1220 towers saddleback roof. In the graveyard are hundreds of 17th 19th century carved stones.

Brigham Brigham primary school by Barbara BallardFletcher Christian of Mutiny on the Bounty fame was born in the nearby farmhouse, Moorland Close and baptised in the church.
George Fox preached in the church without incident, but later another Quaker, John Burnyeat, was beaten with Bibles and a staff by the congregation. The church is supposedly haunted by a hangman who committed suicide and was buried in the churchyard.

Photos by Barbara Ballard and courtesy of Andy Wallace , John Holmes The Geograph British Isles Project

Brigham is just off the A66, two miles west of Cockermouth.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.