|Businesses in Brigsteer||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Brigsteer, formerly known as Bryggstere (meaning a bridge where steers were driven over or a causeway) is located on the edge of the Lyth valley. Scout Scar looks over the village. The abundant peat in the area was once cut by the Scandinavians who settled here.
Village amenities include an inn closed at this time and a village hall. The nearby church of St John in Helsington parish dates from c1726. It was restored twice, once in 1898 and again in 1910.
Brigsteer is located three miles south-west of Kendal on a minor road off the A591.
© 1997 - 2013 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.