Businesses in Bromfield Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Bromfield

Bromfield street courtesy Andy WallaceThe small hamlet of Bromfield sits on agricultural land between Crummock beck and Langrigg beck. Its name means broom-covered land. Bromfields history is tied in with that of Holme Cultram abbey.

In the village is St Mungo (another name for St Kentigern) church, having the distinction of once allowing cockfighting in its churchyard. The site was a place of worship in pagan times and continued through Roman and pre-Norman days. The present church, built on the site of three earlier churches, is part Norman. It was restored in the 1860s.

Bromfield church of St. Mungo courtesy Andy WallaceThe south doorway has a reset Norman arch, and parts of a Norman frieze decorate the chancel arch. The north, three-bayed arcades rounded piers date from the early 13th century. The chancel arch is transitional, and the north and south transepts have been extended into two chapels.

St Georges chapel, located in the south transept, dates from 1396. It was used as a chantry until 1546 when it came under Henry VIIIs thumb. Left to go to ruin, it was restored in 1862, 1894 and 1962.

Bromfield church interior courtesy Andy WallaceDuring the 1860s restoration, the Lady chapel (now known as the Crookdake chapel) in the north transept was rebuilt and enlarged by the Ballantine-Dykes family. They restored the tombs and monuments and inserted armorial glass in the windows. The chapel served as a memorial to their ancestor, Adam of Crookdake, a famous local warrior who died in 1304. His tomb is in the chapels east wall.

Surviving the 1860 restoration is an east wall coffin lid dated 1514 and a tomb recess of 1673. A sundial is dated 1687. A late Anglian cross is part of the heritage of the church. One of the largest Cumbrian collections of Saxon graveslabs and stones is found in the church.Bromfield church interior courtesy Andy Wallace

It is believed St Kentigern visited here on his mission south from Strathclyde, about AD553. In a field north of the church is a covered well where he is thought to have performed baptisms. The well was rebuilt in 1392.

Next to the church is an ancient pub, the Greyhound Inn. A manor hall on the edge of the village once belonged to Holme Cultram abbey.Bromfield Ye Olde Grey hound Inn courtesy Andy Wallace

Bromfields position mid-way between the towns of Wigton and Aspatria provides Lakeland mountain views to the south. To the north are the hills of Scotland and the Solway Firth.

Thanks to Colin Haycock of Bromfield for some of the information on the church.

Photos courtesy Andy Wallace

Bromfield is on a minor road off the A596, 5 miles west of Wigton and northeast of Aspatria.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.