Businesses in Broughton Mills Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Broughton Mills

Black smith Arms Broughton Mills courtesy of Mike BennerBroughton Mills, a small hamlet, sits by the Dunnerdale Fells and the Lickle River. The water's power was once harnessed for the area's wool, corn and bobbin mills. A woodturning business manufactured hayrakes, scythe poles, and brushstocks.

The Blacksmiths Arms, an historic pub, dated 1748, retains an old cast iron range, old timbers, and some gas lighting. The pub serves real ale.

Broughton Mills Holy Innocents Church by Alexander P KappThe church contains a stained glass window by Charles Kempe, whose specialty was using silver stain on glass.

Much of the surrounding land and farms are under the care of the National Trust. Hikers on the fells can spot the ruins of the kilns that produced lime for building and potash for cleaning wool. One and ½ miles to the west, the ruins of Duddon Forge are a reminder of earlier times.

Broughton Mills Dunnerdale fells by Andrew HillStickle Pike and Caw are the highest of the sharp volcanic rock making up the Dunnerdale Fells. The once busy settlement of Broughton Mills is now a small shadow of its past.

Photos courtesy Alexander P Kapp , Andrew Hill , Mike Benner.

Broughton Mills is 3 miles from Broughton in Furness, A593.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.