Businesses in Burton-in-Kendal Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Burton-in-Kendal

Burton-in-Kendal village street Graeme DougalBurton-in-Kendal existed before the Domesday book was compiled, and it retains many of its old street names such as Boon Walk, Neddy Hill and Tanpits Lane. The name of the town was written Bortun in the book. It comes from boro which has to do with tithing.

Burton-in-Kendal Kings Arms by Graeme DougalThe town was the jumping off place for journeys into the surrounding countryside, now a sheep farming area. Both the Kings Arms pub and the Royal Hotel served as coaching inns to stagecoaches that followed a route through here as early as 1763.

Burton-in-Kendal Market Cross by Graeme DougalA market began in 1661, and its business grew until Burton-in-Kendal became the largest corn market in Westmorland. The railroads put paid to its importance. The market cross, constructed of limestone in the 18th century, was a holding spot for lawbreakers who were chained to it with leg irons.

The towns main street displays a number of Georgian houses. The Cocking Yard (a cobbled yard) is lined with 17th and 18th century cottages. Burton House was built in the late 18th century.

Burton-in-Kendal cottages by Graeme DougalThe church of St James dates from Norman times, but was restored in the 14th through 16th century in the Perpendicular style and again in 1844 and 1872. The lower part of the west tower is still Norman, and the three bay arcades and north chapel are 15th-16th centuries. A window of 1300 sits in the east wall of the vestry. The oak pulpit is Jacobean. Pieces of a Saxon cross survive.

Burton-in-Kendal Church of St James by Graeme DougalNear the village is the Lancaster canal that links Kendal and Preston. In the 19th and early 20th centuries it was used to transport coal.

Photos courtesy Graeme Dougal



Burton-in-Kendal is on the A6070 just off the M6 between junctions 35a and 36.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.