Businesses in Cartmel Fell Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Cartmel Fell

The tiny hamlet of Cartmel Fell gets its name from its setting in the fells located above the Winster river. A parish hall once served as a local school. A former Quaker meeting house is in the hamlet. The village pub, the Masons Arms, dates to the mid 1600s. It has a flag floor, oak beams, and open fires. On the premises is a micro--brewery making Damson beer.

Cartmel Fell St_Anthony by Tony Richards Lakeland CamThe local church, St Anthony, was built c1505 to serve local farmers and their families. Inside the single main chamber is a 1698 triple decker pulpit and early 16th century stained glass from Cartmel priory in the east window.

Pews date from the 1600s and 1700s. A wooden figure of Christ, dated c1400s, is thought to have originated from Cartmel priory. The roof beams are reminiscent of barn ones. Cartmel Fell St Anthony interior by Tony Richards Lakeland CamThere is an unfinished west stone tower capped by a saddle-back roof. There is a porch at the west end of the church and a priest's door on the south side. Stone flags were laid in the 1700s; before that the floor was covered with rushes.

On the north side is the early 16th century Cowmire pew, associated with the Briggs family of Cowmire Hall. Another pew is named the Burblethwaite and dates from the 17th Cartmel Fell St Anthony stained glass by Tony Richards Lakeland Camcentury. Both have screens, the latter pew having Jacobean balusters, a canopy, and a gothic frieze.

Photos courtesy of Tony Richards and Matthew Emmott


Cartmel Fell is on a minor road off the A5074, 5.5 miles south of Bowness-on-Windermere.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.