Businesses in Castle Carrock Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Castle Carrock

Geltsdale Road, Castle Carrock by Rose and Trev CloughCastle Carrock, a straggling village, sits on an elevated edge of the north Pennines near the Eden valley and the river Gelt. Part of the mountain and forest belonged to the crown and also to the priory of Hexham before the dissolution of the monasteries. The moor provided pasture for farmers.

Village shop, Castle Carrock by Oliver DixonGeltsdale is now a Site of Special Scientific Interest with badgers, red squirrels, stoat, weasels, and fox among the wildlife. Butterflies include the small copper, dingy skipper, green hairstreak, and small pearl-bordered. Among the birds are the little and great crested grebe, goldeneye, hen harrier, buzzard, pochard, and shoveler.

St Peter's, Castle Carrock by Andrew SmithSt Peters church, with its square tower, is an 1828 rebuilding of a previous church. It was extensively redone internally. The village is home to a restaurant, the Weary, which was Cumbria restaurant of the year, and a primary school.

South of the village is the reputed site of a bronze age burial.

Photos courtesy Rose and Trev Clough , Oliver Dixon and Andrew Smith The Geograph British Isles Project

Castle Carrock on the B6413.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.