|Businesses in Catterlen||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
In the hamlet of Catterlen is historic Catterlen Hall. Its original pele tower is on the north end of an L-shaped building, added in 1577. The manor of Catterlen once belonged to John Christian Curwen of Workington Hall, then to the duke of Norfolk, and following that to Henry Howard of Greystoke Castle. A Primitive Methodist chapel was built in the village in 1867.
Photo courtesy Andrew Smith The Geograph British Isles Project
Catterlen is located three miles north-west of Penrith on a minor road.
© 1997 - 2013 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.