Businesses in Chapel Stile Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Chapel Stile

(See also Great and Little Langdale , Little Langdale)

Chapel Stile by Lis BurkeChapel Stile, on the Brathay River, is a Langdale quarry village. The area was known for its green slate, and in the 19th century slate houses were built for quarrymen. At the same time a gunpowder works was opened to supply the quarries.

The large green slate church of Holy Trinity was constructed in 1857 on the site of an earlier church which Wordsworth called his ‘sequestered and simple place of worship’. The Chapel Stile Church of Holy Trinity courtesy of Graeme DougalVictorian church and its tower were built in the decorated Gothic style. The church has several stained glass windows. In the churchyard is the gravestone of the Reverend Owen Lloyd who was related to Wordsworth's brother. A poem written by Wordsworth in Lloyd's memory is on the stone.

Up a narrow country road, Chapel Stile is watched over by Silver How.

Chapel Stile by Dave and Edith Browns


Photos courtesy Graeme Dougal , Dave and Edith Browns and Lis Burke The Geograph British Isles Project




Chapel Stile is 4 miles west of Ambleside on the B5343. Restricted parking.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.