Businesses in Colthouse Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Colthouse

Colthouse Friends Meeting House courtesy Humphrey Bolton The Geograph British Isles projectColthouse sits close by Hawkshead village and the side of Latterbarrow. Its claim to fame is that of being a Quaker centre. George Fox visited in 1653 and the Quaker meeting house, now a listed Grade II building, was built in 1688 (sash windows added in 1790). The building has two rooms: a meeting room and a schoolroom. Panelling separated the women's and men's meeting areas. The building is opened by request.

Colthouse Quaker burial ground courtesy Humphrey Bolton The Geograph British Isles projectThere is also a Quaker burial ground here, dating from 1658. Stone rubble walls enclose it, and they are enhanced with stone benches. The gravestones here reflect the Quaker style being simple slabs with rounded tops.

Colthouse was also the home of Ann Tyson who had a famous school lodger, William Wordsworth. He and his brother stayed here while attending school in nearby Hawkshead.

Photos courtesy Humphrey Bolton The Geograph British Isles project

Colthouse is located .5 mile east of the village of Hawkshead.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.