Businesses in Colton Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Colton

Colton Courtesy Colton Parish CouncilThe village of Colton is in southern Cumbria, but it used to be part of Lancashire before the boundary changes. It's also changed its name. Known as Coleton in 1202 (Old English for ‘village’), it also went under the spelling Coulton.

Colton beck runs beside the village. The beck was once named Cole, which means ‘hazel stream’.Colton Holy Trinity Church courtesy Andy Wallace

The church, Holy Trinity, was consecrated in 1575 and rebuilt 25 years later. Three miles from the village there was a Quaker meeting house, dated 1725.


Coulton on minor road from Spark Bridge.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.