November 22, 2017

Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Corney

Corney fell road courtesy Andrew Hill GeographCorney lies on the coast below Corney Fell. It is in a farming area of Cumbria and during the 1700s and 1800s had all the shops and services needed by the local families. The village inn was built at the turn of the 18th century.

St John the Baptist, the local church, built on the site of a much earlier church, sits on a ridge of the fell. It is a mixture of different styles and periods. The Victorians restored it in 1882.Corney St John the Baptist Church courtesy Bob Jenkins

Corney's famous son was Edward Troughton, an instrument maker. After moving to London he invented the equatorial mounting for astronomical telescopes. He gifted the church with a sundial in 1822.

Photos courtesy Andrew Hill , Bob Jenkins

Corney is two miles north of Bootle, near the A595.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.