Businesses in Culgaith Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Culgaith

(See also Acorn Bank Gardens , Acorn Bank Mill)

Culgaith street by Barbara BallardCulgaith (meaning corner wood), a straggling village, sits on a hill in Eden valley farmland east of Penrith. Culgaith, a former medieval village, owes its continuing existence to the Settle and Carlisle railway that came here in the 1870s. The rail line tunnels through the hill. The railway station closed and is now a private home. The river Eden lies ¼ mile from the village, and Cross fell is to the east. Its a popular walking area.Culgaith All Saints Church by Alexander P Kapp

The church of All Saints, a cruciform church built in 1758, took the place of an earlier chapel-of-ease founded by a lord of the manor. Columns reach to the coved ceilings. The windows and west porch date from Victorian times. There are old gravestones in the churchyard.

Culgaith The Black Swan Inn by Barbara Ballard
A traditional 17th century inn, a primary school, and accommodation for travellers are located in the village. Close by is Millrig House, a former 15th century stone pele tower, now part of a home. Near Culgaith is the National Trust Acorn Bank gardens.

Photos by Barbara Ballard and courtesy of Alexander P Kapp.

Culgaith is on the B6412 south-east of Penrith.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.