|Businesses in Cumrew||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Cumrew sits in a valley of farming land near what was the royal forest of Geltsdale. Nearby are the Pennine mountains and Cumrew fell, site of a prehistoric cairn that held cremation burial urns.
The village church, St Marys, is not the first on the site. In c1291 another church served the villagers, but the current one was rebuilt in 1890. The rock-faced church has a north-west tower with two bells. By the churchyard is a 17th century former vicarage which used stones from the old churchs doorway in its building. The churchyard has an early 14th century effigy with a medieval grave slab and a cross-shaft.
Photo courtesy of Steve Bulman
Cumrew is located on the B6413 south of Brampton.
© 1997 - 2014 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.