November 23, 2017

Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Dendron

Dendron lane by Google MapsDendron is next to Barrow-in-Furness but maintains its own identity as a former agricultural settlement.

St Matthew's church in the village dates from 1642 and was built as a chapel of ease by a former Leece man, Robert Dickinson. It also served the village as a Dendron St Matthew church by Michael Grahamschoolhouse between 1642 and 1833. The church was rebuilt in 1795. In 1833 a tower was added and the wall that divided the school and church was removed, after which a new school and a vicarage were built. In 1891 the church was again restored. It has one stained glass window. The former school is now used as a meeting hall.

Photos courtesy of Google Maps , Michael Graham.

Dendron is 2.5 miles east of Barrow-in-Furness.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.